I just made it up after getting a good deal on mangoes. If available, use Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum. Please, no light rums or spiced rums.
- Bake pie shell according to package directions.
- Drizzle lemon juice over mango slices and mix lightly.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar and toss gently.
- Set aside for 1 hour.
- Drain mango, reserving syrup.
- Add enough water to syrup to measure 1 cup of liquid.
- Combine 1/2 cup of sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Stir in the mango liquid until thoroughly blended.
- Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil; boil until thick and clear.
- Stir in rum.
- Remove from heat and blend in butter and salt.
- Gently mix in mango slices.
- Turn into baked pie shell, cool and chill.