Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I just made it up after getting a good deal on mangoes. If available, use Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum. Please, no light rums or spiced rums.
- Bake pie shell according to package directions.
- Drizzle lemon juice over mango slices and mix lightly.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar and toss gently.
- Set aside for 1 hour.
- Drain mango, reserving syrup.
- Add enough water to syrup to measure 1 cup of liquid.
- Combine 1/2 cup of sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Stir in the mango liquid until thoroughly blended.
- Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil; boil until thick and clear.
- Stir in rum.
- Remove from heat and blend in butter and salt.
- Gently mix in mango slices.
- Turn into baked pie shell, cool and chill.
Loved this. Very easy and quick. I did it in tart shells. Made it easy to share.
Easy to make. No corn starch so used arrowroot and a little glutonous rice flour to thicken. Nice refrigerator pie. Rum really makes it!
I've made 4 of these pies now and they have been a hit. I made only one change, I used reg. butter and omitted the salt and you can't tell. Dark rum, fantastic! Soft ripe mango's work best and have best flavor, but the slightly crisper ones had their own fabulousnessness. Thanks for posting