1/1 Photo of Lou's Green Tomato Soup
1 hr 30 mins
It's loose again's Note:
I garden. At the end of the year I had a lot of green tomatoes whose blossom end had not blushed, thus they will never ripen. This is a recipe I created to use green tomatoes. This year I'll make a lot more and freeze it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, crushed and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground
- 1 1/2 lbs green tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 lb potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, whole
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions, garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the tomatoes, pepper, potatoes, broth, chili pepper and sugar.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 5Purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor (the blender will give you a smoother purée).
- 6Return the soup to a pot and add the milk and salt.
- 7Heat to a simmer.
- 8Serve garnished with a dollop of yogurt, cashews, and cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lou's Green Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.9
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.5 mg
- Sodium 578.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 10.8 g