Recipe by It's loose again
Turn inexpensive imitation crab meat into an elegant starter course. RC Crab Base can be ordered through their web site, www.rcfinefoods.com. I use grapeseed oil because it is rich in vitamin E and linoleic acid, any oil will do.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 lb imitation crabmeat
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄4 cup rc crab base
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux in a small saucepan.
- Melt butter over low heat, stir in flour and cook until pale gold.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan; sauté carrots, onions, celery, scallions, and garlic until tender.
- Add tomatoes, hot sauce, and tomato paste.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, combine water and crab base.
- When vegetables are tender, add the water and crab base mixture.
- Bring to a boil and add the imitation crab.
- Bring to a second boil and remove from heat.
- Purée in batches in a blender (you could use a food processor but it won't be as smooth).
- Return purée to the saucepan and reheat.
- Stir in cream and sherry.
- Cook until the alcohol in the sherry had steamed out.
- Serve garnished with parsley.