1/1 Photo of Lou's Chayote Soup
It's loose again's Note:
I bought chayotes not knowing what they were. On learning they are from Mexico, I made a Mexican spiced soup. It makes a nice start to a Mexican or North African meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel, pit and quarter chayote, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2Cook scallions, garlic, and chili in butter in a heavy 3 quart saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- 3Stir in allspice and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- 4Add chayote, oregano and half of the cilantro and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 5Add chicken broth and simmer, covered, until chayotes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and discard chili pepper.
- 7Stir in remaining cilantro.
- 8Purée soup in a blender until smooth.
- 9Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lou's Chayote Soup
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 388.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.3 g