I bought chayotes not knowing what they were. On learning they are from Mexico, I made a Mexican spiced soup. It makes a nice start to a Mexican or North African meal.
- Peel, pit and quarter chayote, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook scallions, garlic, and chili in butter in a heavy 3 quart saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Stir in allspice and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Add chayote, oregano and half of the cilantro and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and simmer, covered, until chayotes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard chili pepper.
- Stir in remaining cilantro.
- Purée soup in a blender until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.