Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sauce came from the my friend Lou. He makes the best BBQ. His meat recipe is listed as Boston Butt Bar B Que.
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 4 cups ketchup
- Combine all ingredients, except for the ketchup in a large, deep, saucepan. Cook uncovered, until all ingredients are disolved about 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup and bring to a boil stirring constantly so it doesn't splatter.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat slightly and simmer uncovered until dark, thick and richly flavored about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Use right away or transfer to jars, cover and cool to room temp and refrigerate. Sauce will keep for several months.
I got this same recipe from Steven Raichlen's Sauce Bible. I make it without the allspice just for a little change up. I always use Plochman's yellow mustard.
I made half a recipe to go with Recipe #279555.. Great with the pork. Served with jalapeno cheddar bread and KFC coleslaw.
Mmmmmmm -- this is positively addictive! I will admit that because I am not a fan of overly-sweet, I used only 5 Tbsp brown sugar, and used 3/4 cup cider vinegar instead of just 1/2. That gave it just enough *tang* for my taste, and now this sauce is just about perfection on a spoon! Yummmmmmmmy! Noting another reviewer's difficulty getting the mustard to dissolve, I used a whisk to stir the sauce prior to adding the ketchup. Nice and smooth, no lumps. Thanks, MsSally! Your friend Lou is brilliant!