Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My good friend Lou gave me this recipe. It is really tasty. I recommend it. I cook mine in the slow cooker at Low for 8 hours. It also freezes very well.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 lbs round steaks (cut in bite size)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon bovril powder
- 1 cup olive (optional)
- Preheat oven 325*.
- Heat oil on skillet and brown beef cubes.
- Spoon into a heavy casserole.Add the rest of the ingredients to the casserole and bake at least 2 hours until well done.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
- The olives are superb in this recipe.
Very tasty stew. I halved the recipe for 2, and omitted the olives because nephew doesn't like them, otherwise made as written. Good winter stew. Made for I Recommend tag. Thanks for posting.
This is a wonderfully different beef dish! It makes a lot!! I made as directed (including the olives), except that I just simmered the whole thing in my huge skillet on the stove for the 2 hours. The beef was so tender and the sauce was wonderful - a little sweet and packed full of veggies. Served this with fusilli pasta and really enjoyed - thanks for posting!