Recipe by Efimia
Lovely sticky little fried dough balls. Recipes from 'From a Traditional Greek Kitchen' a vegetarian recipe book. Of course if you're vegan you won't smother them in honey (but maybe maple syrup), but they are good either way!
- 6 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup warm water
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- honey or maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Dissolve yeast with salt in warm water.
- Pour yeast mixture into the well and combine.
- Add 1 cup of water to make a thick batter, adding more as necessary.
- Cover and let stand in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Pour oil (to about a 4 inch depth) into a heavy bottomed pan and heat just to smoking point.
- Drop the batter by tablespoons into the oil four at a time.
- Turn the puffs until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper towels and serve hot, drizzled with honey or maple syrup and sprinkled with cinnanmon.