1/2 Photos of Loukoumades (Greek Honey Dumplings)
2 hrs 30 mins
A treat anytime!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 4 cups flour (or enough until a thick, pancake-like batter consistency is reached)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- oil (for frying)
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water.
- 2Put it along with the remaining dough ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well until a smooth batter is obtained.
- 3Cover and let the batter rise in a warm place until it is approximately three times its previous bulk, (1-2 hours).
- 4Heat the oil for frying in a saucepan on the stove until very hot.
- 5Dip a teaspoon into oil to coat and spoon out some dough into the hot oil.
- 6Repeat until there are enough fritters to comfortably fill the surface area of the saucepan, without overcrowding.
- 7Dip the spoon in oil, every time the dough starts to stick on it.
- 8Fry loukoumades in very hot oil until golden brown, pushing them into the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a serving dish lined with kitchen paper for them to drain.
- 9Keep making more fritters in this way.
- 10When done, put them on a large platter and pour hot honey syrup over them and lightly dust with cinnamon.
- 11Sprinkle them with chopped walnuts and sesame seeds.
- 12Serve immediately.
- 13To make honey syrup.
- 14Heat honey and water in a small saucepan and skim off any froth that may form on top.
- 15Boil for 5 minutes together and pour over fritters.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Loukoumades (Greek Honey Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.4 mg
- Sodium 132.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 6.6 g