Recipe by JustJanS
This comes from my new cookbook Best of the Best from Kentucky. I made it for lunch today, and it was so good. I understand it's a fairly famous dish in Kentucky and that this is a simpler version than the usual two sauce one. I don't know about that, I just know I enjoyed it!
Top Review by Bergy
I think I've died and gone to Heaven! This is a wonderful lunch or dinner entree - throw in an egg and you have a great brunch dish - I used chicken breast. Can't improve on it Thanks JanS for a recipe I'll use regularly
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices toast
- 1 cooked chicken breasts or 1 cooked turkey breast, sliced
- crisp-fried bacon, crumbled
- sliced fresh mushrooms, sauteed
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter until transparent, add flour and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add milk, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Cook on medium heat until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheeses and continue heating until they blend.
- Remove from heat.
- Put one slice of toast in each of four oven-proof individual serving dishes (I used our 1980's stoneware dinner plates).
- Top each piece of toast with slices of chicken or turkey.
- Slice remaining toasts diagonally and place on sides of sandwiches.
- Ladle cheese sauce over sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches under broiler until sauce begins to bubble.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and sauteed mushroom slices and serve immediately.