1/1 Photo of Louisville Hot Brown
This comes from my new cookbook Best of the Best from Kentucky. I made it for lunch today, and it was so good. I understand it's a fairly famous dish in Kentucky and that this is a simpler version than the usual two sauce one. I don't know about that, I just know I enjoyed it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 slices toast
- 1 cooked chicken breasts or 1 cooked turkey breast, sliced
- crisp-fried bacon, crumbled
- sliced fresh mushrooms, sauteed
- 1Saute onion in butter until transparent, add flour and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- 2Add milk, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- 3Cook on medium heat until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add cheeses and continue heating until they blend.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Put one slice of toast in each of four oven-proof individual serving dishes (I used our 1980's stoneware dinner plates).
- 7Top each piece of toast with slices of chicken or turkey.
- 8Slice remaining toasts diagonally and place on sides of sandwiches.
- 9Ladle cheese sauce over sandwiches.
- 10Place sandwiches under broiler until sauce begins to bubble.
- 11Garnish with crumbled bacon and sauteed mushroom slices and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisville Hot Brown
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.5
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 125.1 mg
- Sodium 1014.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 24.4 g