1/1 Photo of Louisiana Syrup Cake
1 hr 35 mins
A Creole cake, also known as gateau au sirop. Recommended to use Steen’s pure cane syrup, made the traditional way in Abbeville, Louisiana since 1911. Recipe from Southern Cakes, Nancie McDermott. Cake:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups steen's cane syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup hot water
Cane Syrup Frosting
- 1Make the cake: preheat oven to 350°; grease and flour a 9-inch square or round cake pan.
- 2In a bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt; stir with a fork to mix well.
- 3In a big bowl, combine the vegetable oil, cane syrup, and egg; stir with a fork or whisk to combine well.
- 4Add about 1/3 or the flour mixture to the syrup mixture and then stir gently, just until the flour disappears.
- 5Add the baking soda to the hot water, and then stir about half the water into the batter.
- 6Stir another 1/3 of the flour mixture, then the remaining water, and finally the remaining flour, stirring gently each time just to mix everything well.
- 7Quickly pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched gently in the center, and is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- 8Make the frosting: In a bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy; add in half the powdered sugar, the vanilla, and salt; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- 9Add the remaining powdered sugar and the cane syrup, and beat until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the bowl and mix well.
- 10To complete: if cake is round, cool the cake in the pan on a rack, for 10 minutes, turn it out of the pan, and place it, top side up, on a wire rack to cool completely; place cooled cake on a serving plate or cake stand, top side down, and spread the frosting over it generously, covering the top and sides.
- 11If it is square, spread the icing over the cooled cake right in the pan, and cut into squares to serve; serve warm, right from the pan.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Syrup Cake
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 827.6
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 55.5 mg
- Sodium 762.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 139.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 97.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g