1/1 Photo of Louisiana Sweet Potato French Toast With Pecan Honey-Butter
Random Rachel's Note:
This sounds like an interesting breakfast. I think 1 egg would work instead of 2 yolks. From the Advocate (Baton Rouge newspaper) who say the recipe is by Patrick Ashton, of New Orleans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sweet potato filling
- 1 large louisiana sweet potato
- 2 ounces cane syrup
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 nut nutmeg, grated with microplane
Pecan honey butter
- 1For the filling: Peel and cut sweet potato into 1/2-inch chunks. Roast in microwave in a covered microwave-safe dish with a few drops of water until fork-tender (8 to 10 minutes).
- 2Combine sweet potato and all filling ingredients in food processor or blender and process until the consistency of creamy peanut butter.
- 3Pecan honey butter: Chop pecans and add to a sauté pan over low heat and toast for a few minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add honey and pecans. Heat until mixture starts to bubble, stirring periodically, then lower heat and keep warm.
- 5For French toast: Combine egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla in a flat-bottom dish. Whisk together until dry ingredients are fully moistened and combined with wet ingredients. Warm milk in microwave until warm (not hot), then add milk and melted butter to egg-yolk mixture. Whisk until combined well.
- 6Spread 1-2 tbsp of the filling between every 2 slices of bread to make sandwiches.
- 7Put 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip toast sandwiches in custard mixture and soak for 15 to 20 seconds on each side. Cook on griddle or pan for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove and slice into three slices diagonally; arrange on plates. Top with honey-butter.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Sweet Potato French Toast With Pecan Honey-Butter
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1322.8
- Calories from Fat 796
- Total Fat 88.5 g
- Saturated Fat 43.3 g
- Cholesterol 263.8 mg
- Sodium 1298.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 92.0 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: