I learned how to make this rich, gooey, caramel-ly version of French Toast when I lived in Louisiana. It is very sweet - feel free to decrease the amount of sugar if you wish. There is no milk in this version. If you don't have a good nonstick pan, you may need to grease your pan with some oil or butter rather than the nonstick spray, as the sugar caramelizes and can be a little messy to clean.
- Beat together the eggs,sugar,and vanilla extract.
- Dip each slice of bread into the batter to coat both sides.
- Drain off excess batter and cook on a hot griddle that has been first sprayed with nonstick butter flavor spray (or brushed with oil).
- Brown well on both sides,but don't let burn.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with warm maple syrup on the side.
- Note: You may use any kind of bread you prefer-however,the softer the bread you use, the soggier it will be (I prefer to use day old challah bread or Italian bread slices).
- The number of servings will also vary depending upon the size of your bread slices- I usually serve 2-3 slices per person.