Recipe by Monique in LA
Wonderful shrimp dish that will stick to your ribs. It's a recipe out of the Talk About Good cookbook, with only slight modifications. serves 4, I usually double as this is even better the next day.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (raw)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use only 1 tsp salt)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (green)
Directions See How It's Made
- combine flour and oil in a 5 quart heavy pot, making a medium brown roux on high heat. Stir constantly so as not to burn the roux.
- Lower heat, add shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, and parsley. Continue to cook for 2 minutes to wilt onions.
- Raise heat, add water and remaining ingredients. Bring to boil.
- Lower heat to simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice. Corn or peas are great sweet vegetables on the side of this tomato based gravy. We always have peas and potato salad with this meal. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have!