Recipe by Dreamgoddess
This is one of the Zaar recipes that I adopted. I hope to prepare this one soon and will post any modifications that I make to the recipe.
Top Review by Chef ChiSox#1
I made the mistake of tasting the vegetable mixture b/4 putting in the beef. I thought it was going to be too strong. I was wrong. We made roast beef sandwiches and they were great.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped very fine
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped very fine
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic, Minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne, Ground
- 4 lbs boneless beef sirloin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine the onions, celery, bell peppers, butter and seasonings, mix well.
- Place roast in a large roasting pan, fat side up.
- With a large knife make 6 to 12 deep slits in the meat (to form pockets) down to a depth of about 1/2 inch from the bottom; do not cut all the way through.
- Fill the pockets to their depths with the vegetable mixture, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the vegetables to rub over the top of the roast.
- Bake uncovered at 300F until a meat thermometer reads about 160F for medium doneness, about 3 hours.
- For rarer roast, cook until thermometer reads 140F.
- Serve immediately topped with some of the pan drippings if you like.