Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This southern dish traditionally is made with the addition of pickled pork meat. The following meatless version is great! Delicious with a green salad. From Bean Banquets Patricia R. Gregory. Times do not include the time for cooking the beans.
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large stalk celery, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- hot pepper sauce
- Cook beans according to basic directions.
- Heat peanut oil in a large saucepan and saute onions, garlic, green peppers, and celery.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, cumin, paprika, tomatoes, vinegar, and some bean broth.
- Simmer vegetables until they are tender.
- Shortly before serving, add the beans with the remaining broth, hot pepper sauce, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Serve over steaming rice.