Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I think this came from Eating Well. I absolutely love this, and it's filling.
Make and share this Louisiana Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 4 1⁄3 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 30 ounces red kidney beans or 30 ounces pink beans, rinsed
- 6 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery leaves
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle peppers or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine 3 1/3 cups water, rice, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before rice is ready, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly colored and tender (about 3 minutes).
- Place 1 cup beans in a small bowl and mash.
- Add the mashed beans and the whole beans, the remaining 1 cup of water, bacon, celery, celery leaves, bell pepper, and chipotle/cayenne to the skillet.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid has thickened into a gravy and the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve spooned over rice.