1 hr 5 mins
I think this came from Eating Well. I absolutely love this, and it's filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 30 ounces red kidney beans or 30 ounces pink beans, rinsed
- 6 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery leaves
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chipotle peppers or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Combine 3 1/3 cups water, rice, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- 2Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- 3About 10 minutes before rice is ready, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly colored and tender (about 3 minutes).
- 5Place 1 cup beans in a small bowl and mash.
- 6Add the mashed beans and the whole beans, the remaining 1 cup of water, bacon, celery, celery leaves, bell pepper, and chipotle/cayenne to the skillet.
- 7Simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid has thickened into a gravy and the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 8Serve spooned over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 776.1
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 28.9 mg
- Sodium 672.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 29.6 g