Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
- Combine 3 1/3 cups water, rice, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before rice is ready, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly colored and tender (about 3 minutes).
- Place 1 cup beans in a small bowl and mash.
- Add the mashed beans and the whole beans, the remaining 1 cup of water, bacon, celery, celery leaves, bell pepper, and chipotle/cayenne to the skillet.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid has thickened into a gravy and the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve spooned over rice.