Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
Roasting the pecans in a 350-degree oven for about ten minutes prior to adding them to the dish will intensify the flavor of this recipe. You can use almonds or cashew, even hazel nuts goes well with this recipe. Just toast them the same way to bring out the flavor.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning or 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- Heat butter in saucepot over a medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat up to high.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add Cajun or creole seasoning, rice and cook for an additional minute.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of beef broth, bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth, pecans and hot sauce.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and green onions.
I cannot believe how such an excellent rice dish has not been tried out by anyone on Zaar as yet! This is truly - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! It's my mom's b'day today(Coinciding with Children's Day!) and I wanted to cook something very different and very special for her from usual Indian food. This is what I picked out from the 43,000 plus recipes here. I'm so glad I did! I used 3 tbsps. oil(instead of butter), 1 1/2 cups chopped onions, 1 cup chopped red bell pepper, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped garlic, 1 cup uncooked rice, 1 tbsp. cajun seasoning, 1 cup toasted cashews(as a substitute for pecans), 4 cups Maggi vegetable broth with onions(as a substitute for beef broth), 1 tsp. hot sauce, 1 cup chopped parsely, 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions and few cashews for garnishing(broken). I prepared the stock in the beginning by dissolving 2 cubes of Maggi veg. broth with onions in 4 cups of water, bringing it to a boil. I toasted the cashews in my oven for 10 minutes on HIGH power level, stirring once every 3-4 minutes. The house smelt wonderful while these were toasting! This(toasting nuts) is something I got to learn today! I'd never tried this before. Mom said, "The lunch was lovely, Chinu" - I said, "I gotto log onto Zaar and thank Dancer :) THANK U! You made my day!
I made this last night with some blackened catfish and it was great. I didn't have any celery but my results were still great. I toasted the pecans in the oven like you said but mine came out burnt! Thank goodness I had some more in the cabinet...lol. I think maybe next time I will just roast them for about 5 minutes. I never thought about putting pecans in my rice...thanks for a wonderful recipe...I can't wait to make it again but maybe with cashews!