Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got the recipe out of Louisiana cookbook.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- Cream sugar and shortening until fluffy in a large mixing bowl; add egg, beating well.
- Gradually add molasses, mixing well.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except additional sugar; add to sugar mixture, mixing well.
- Chill until dough can be easily rolled into 1-inch balls.
- Roll each ball in sugar; place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- (Do not substitute syrup for molasses).