Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had a neighbor who was from Louisiana. He used to make this all the time. I love any kind of rice dish, but I can't eat this if it is too hot. My husband likes it hot, so he seasons his on his plate and I can eat mine lightly seasoned. That is the good thing about this recipe--the pepper seasonings do not have to be cooked into it. You could also add jalapeños if you like and cook them into it--if you like hot stuff.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons oleo
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic (or from jar)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 2 lbs shrimp, boiled & peeled
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Sauté onions and garlic in butter about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, celery,bell pepper, thyme and cloves.
- Cook 30 minutes stirring often.
- Stir in cooked crabmeat.
- Add water and bring to boiling.
- Add rice and cook till rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Add shrimp and season to your taste.
This was really great!!!! The only change that I made was I added some smoke paprika and I didnt have crabmeat so I put some turkey kilbasa in and it was so yummy.