Recipe by kaitymiss
I love this cake as it is very moist and seems to be better the next day after baking. I also love the maple flavored icing. I found this recipe written in an old cookbook that I bought at a garage sale.
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) jar jam, flavor of your choice, but red plum works best
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 2 tablespoons milk
- additional milk, for desired consistency
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after addition.
- Stir in jam and preserves.
- Sift together dry ingredients; add alternately with buttermilk to jam mixture.
- Turn into 3 well greased and floured (or Pam Sprayed) 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool completely.
- Frost with maple frosting and garnish with nuts if desired.
- Maple Frosting.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, maple flavoring and 2 tablespoons milk.
- Mix well.
- Add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, for desired consistency.