Recipe by littleturtle
Wonderful with cornbread.
Top Review by FlyingFlourNinja
This is an awesome recipe! Just like I remember from when I used to eat at the Hayride as a child. I loved this soup then, and I'm so excited to be able to serve it for the holidays this year! Not only easy, but full of flavor. One of my family and friends' all time favorite!
- 1 lb dried great northern beans (2.5 cups Northern beans or 2.25 cups navy beans) or 1 lb navy beans (2.5 cups Northern beans or 2.25 cups navy beans)
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb ham, cut into small chunks or 1⁄2 lb bacon or 1⁄2 lb pork, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped (2/3-1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and sort beans, place in a large pan and cover with water.
- Begin to cook.
- Saute meat, onion, celery, garlic salt in oil until tender, but do not brown.
- Add the vegetables to beans; bring to a boil.
- Put lid on pot, lower heat, and cook until beans are done (4 hours), stirring occasionally (If necessary, add more water while cooking).
- Add the parsley, salt, and pepper, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove half the beans, mash then return to pot, stirring gently to thicken soup.