Recipe by mollypaul
Rich and delicious, this dish comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover eggplant with boiling salted water; let stand for five minutes; drain well.
- Brown onion, bell pepper and meat in bacon drippings until onion is translucent, about five minutes.
- Add tomato puree and heat thoroughly.
- Add drained eggplant and remaining ingredients.
- Place in prepared casserole, cover and bake for 1/2 hour; remove cover, increase temperature to 400F and bake for an additional 15 minutes until golden brown on top.