My favorite dirty rice recipe straight from "A COOKS TOUR of SHREVEPORT" cookbook.Some of the ingredients are optional and if you prefer you can use white long grain rice in place of the brown,I prefer the brown,though I would not recommend using fragrant rice.This recipe is extremely versatile and can be used as main dish,along with salad and garlic bread,or as a side,or stuffing mixture.I like to season mine up with some additional creole seasoning such as zatarin's but would suggest tasting in between seasoning.ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) package brown rice
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 onions
- 4 celery ribs (tops and all)
- 1/2 lb chicken liver (optional)
- 1/8 lb ground beef or 1/8 lb pork (I like to use both 1 clove garlic 4 tablespoons pecans or walnuts(optional)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- Tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- 1Boil rice according to package directions.
- 3Brown rice has a slightly coarser grain than white.
- 4Chop onions,celery,bell peppers and garlic finely (use blender).
- 5In bacon drippings saute chopped vegetables until the mixture cooks down,about 30 minutes.
- 6Add chopped chicken livers and ground meats and cook until done,then mash.
- 7The mixture looks"dirty" and soupy.
- 8Add remaining seasonings and nuts to taste,and mix with rice.
- 9May be prepared in morning and reheated.
- 10Additional water may be needed.
- 11When adding seasoning use your own judjement,I like mine spicy.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Dirty Rice
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.3
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.7 mg
- Sodium 60.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 10.7 g