Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Virginia Willis cookbook Bon Appetit, Y'all. You can visit her website www.virginiawillis.com for more recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 cup chicken liver, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green onions, chopped
- to parboil rice, combine water and rice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. season with salt and pepper. Cover and decrease heat to low. Simmer until rice is just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. cover and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, chile and celery. Sprinkle creole seasoning over. Cook until vegetables start to color, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken livers and cook, stirring frequently, until the liver turns brown, 6 to 8 minutes. add garlic and cook until fragrant, 45 to 60 seconds.
- Add the reserved rice, chicken stock, and bay leaf. stir to combine. Decrease heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is soft and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Add the green onions and serve immediately.