Top Review by under12parsecs
I would give this cake 5 stars for taste, but 3.5-4 for texture as it was fairly dry even baking for only 15 minutes. Recipe #216469 really helps with the moisture, but next time I would bake it less or perhaps brush the layers with coffee liqueur or orange simple syrup. The hints of coffee are wonderfully complimented by the freshness from the orange zest and richness of the nuts. It is perfectly sweet, without being overly so.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄3 cup cold coffee
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frosting (of your choice or use Coffee Buttercream Frosting)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixer bowl.
- Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve coffee powder in cold coffee; stir into butter mixture.
- Add whipping cream; stir well until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; sift again.
- Fold flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Pour into 2 floured and greased 9" cake pans.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in centers is with-drawn clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread top with 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with remaining layer.
- Spread top of cake with 1 cup of frosting.
- Sprinkle pecans and orange peel over frosting.