I discovered this recipe in Lee Lee's Recipe Box. It is best to be used with Coffee Buttercream Frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄3 cup cold coffee
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frosting (of your choice or use Coffee Buttercream Frosting)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, freshly grated
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixer bowl.
- Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Dissolve coffee powder in cold coffee; stir into butter mixture.
- Add whipping cream; stir well until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; sift again.
- Fold flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Pour into 2 floured and greased 9" cake pans.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in centers is with-drawn clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread top with 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with remaining layer.
- Spread top of cake with 1 cup of frosting.
- Sprinkle pecans and orange peel over frosting.