Recipe by Heather in Barrie
This is one of my favourite chicken recipes - tasty, low fat, spicy and easy to prepare. I found it in "Pol Martin's Supreme Cuisine" and have made it many times over the years. Hope others enjoy it too.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, heated
- 1⁄4 cup black bean sauce (I prefer black bean) or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (I prefer black bean)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix spices, herbs and oil together in small bowl and set aside.
- Heat heavy fry pan over medium heat. When hot, add spice mixture to pan and cook about a minute.
- Add chicken strips, salt lightly if desired (doesn't really need salt)and brown 3 minutes over medium heat. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Pour chicken stock and bean sauce into pan, mix well and cook about 3 minutes.
- Dissolve corn starch in cold water, stir into sauce and cook 1 or 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return chicken to pan, stir and simmer another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.