Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was adopted from a 1969 cookbook that belonged to my grandmother. I've adjusted the ingredients and amounts to reflect today's cooking habits. Hope you enjoy it!
- 6 lbs chicken
- 3 cups cooking oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 lbs onions
- 3 tablespoons creole seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
- Heat 3 cups of cooking oil hot enough to cook chicken.
- Cut chicken into 2 inch pieces, season with the creole seasoning and fry in oil until done.
- Remove the chicken from the oil.
- In another frying pan, saute onions,celery, bell pepper and garlic until opaque looking and slightly limp.
- To the vegetable mixture, add your chicken which has slightly cooled.
- Add tomatoes and water to the mixture, then lower the flame allowing mixture to simmer for for one hour, stirring about every 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
- If you like yours to be a bit thicker, use 2 cans of diced tomatoes and 1 can (8 ounce) tomato paste and 1 cup water.
Stick to baking.
I thought sauce piquant was really time consuming and so I never tried to make it. This is WONDERFUL, and I will be making it OFTEN!! Thanks so much!!