Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Jambalaya with chicken giblets, ground pork, and beef.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 1⁄4 onions, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste (I use 1/4 tsp tomato powder mixed with 3/4 tsp water)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken giblets (ground chicken works fine if you can't get ground giblets or grind them yourself)
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup water (cold)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups rice (cooked)
- In a heavy iron pot, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions, celery, green pepper, garlic, and tomato paste, and sauté until onions are tender.
- Stir in meat and seasonings.
- Cook until meat begins to brown, stirring often so it doesn't stick (8-10 minutes).
- Add water, and cook over medium-low heat for about 40 minutes, stirring often.
- I start my rice steamer now.
- Sprinkle with parsley and simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Mix in cooked rice, and serve.
This was delicious! I followed the recipe as directed. Thank you for posting.
I made this for our evening meal and we found that for our taste it needed more flavor. I think the next time it's amde I'll add more garlic and onion, and perhaps Tobasco Sauce. Thanks for the recipe littleturtle.