From The Washington Post, Feb. 21, 2007 Haven't made, but sounds delicious! No need to peel potatoes, just clean them well and remove any eyes or spots. Serve with corn bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (without tenderloins)
- 2 -3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, cored and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 scallions, white and tender green parts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Place cubed sweet potatoes in large pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook about 15 minutes, until they are just tender.
- 2While potatoes are cooking, poach the chicken: Cut breasts in half vertically, place them in a large skillet and add just enough water (or low-sodium chicken broth) to cover. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes, until chicken is just cooked through and tender. Drain, transfer to work surface and cut into 1/2 cubes. Set aside.
- 3Drain potatoes and set aside.
- 4Clean out skillet and melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables have softened. Add paprika and dried thyme, crumbling it between your fingers, then the salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine for 1 minute. Add chicken, sweet potatoes, scallions, parsley and half-and-half. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until liquid has reduced and hash is thickened and "tight.".
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisiana Chicken and Sweet Potato Hash
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.2
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 90.9 mg
- Sodium 262.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 27.8 g