Recipe by Maureen in MA
This recipe was shared in St Anthony Messenger magazine. It makes a sweet, rich pie dough, suitable for custard or fruit fillings. This recipe makes enough dough for 5 1-crust pies.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, whip eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Blend in 1 tsp each of baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla.
- Add 1 cup oil and 1/2 cup buttermilk, mixing well.
- Add 5 cups flour, stirring well after each cup. Do not overmix, or dough will get tough.
- Roll dough 1/4 in thick and drape over pie tin, leaving 2" flopping over edge of pan.
- Note: If adding a pre-cooked filling, pick up flaps of dough and pull back over filling to creat a 1" collar around outer edge of pie. (No top crust needed; latticework optional).
- Bake at 375 - 400 degrees until crust is deeply golden. Time will vary based on whether crust is filled or not.