Recipe by dicentra
This is from my Eat Well Stay Well cookbook. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m typing it up for ZWT II. I bet this could be adapted to the crock pot. Serves 4.
- 1 lb bottom round beef roast, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 lb potato, cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 3 cups diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge the beef in flour. Heat the oil over med-high heat. Cook the beef for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to moderate, add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, molasses, vinegar, ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Return the beef to the pan, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.