Recipe by Toby Jermain
I once worked with a chef who made the most wonderful Louis dressing, but he wouldn't disclose his secret that made it so unusual and so good. Years later, he worked for my dad and told me his secret, the clove-flavored vinegar... you can't really taste it, but it adds something special! I'm sure he is long gone, so I feel free to pass on his secret.
Top Review by JenSoCalifornia Franklin
I found the recipe to be very pleasing, served this salad with little neck clams. The cloves in red wine was a fascinating addition to this traditional recipe. Thanks.
- assorted mixed greens, whatever looks good,washed and drained,torn,and chilled
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb cooked peeled and deveined shrimp or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb crabmeat or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb lobster meat, drained and picked over or a combination,chilled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled,sliced,or diced,or shredded,or a combination for different textures
- 1 lemon, juice of
- crouton, preferably homemade (optional)
- green bell peppers or red bell pepper, rings (optional)
- thinly sliced onion rings (optional)
- chopped tomato (optional)
- mild pepperoncini pepper, italian pickled peppers (optional)
- freshly shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- lemon wedges or lemon slice (to garnish) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 tablespoons wine vinegar, simmered over low heat with
- 8 whole cloves, until reduced to 2 tsp,cloves discarded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion, including both white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped stuffed green olives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish, to taste
- a tiny touch garlic
- 3 -5 dashes paprika
- 3 -5 dashes tarragon vinegar, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all dressing ingredients including any desired optional ingredients, and refrigerate, covered, for several hours before serving.
- Divide greens onto 4 individual salad plates or place in a large serving bowl.
- Top with shrimp and/or crab and/or lobster, and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Garnish with any or all of the optional ingredients, the more the better.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives.
- If serving individually, top each salad with a dollop of Louis Dressing, serving the remainder on the side.
- If serving from a large serving bowl, present, add dressing, and toss the salad at the table.
- Serve additional dressing on the side.