Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is taken from "The Gasparilla Cookbook" and it combines the wonderful flavors of the greek salad served on top of a delicious potato salad. The finishing touches are peeled and cooked shrimp on top with olives, peppers, and green onions arranged around the salad. Great presentation and well worth the effort. You may omit the watercress and anchovies,as well as, change up the veggies any way you wish.
- 6 potatoes, boiled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 1 lettuce, entire bunch
- 3 cups potato salad (see above)
- 12 watercress leaves (optional)
- 2 tomatoes, medium and cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, cut lengthwise into 8 fingers
- 1 avocado, cut into wedges
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 green pepper, cut into 8 strips
- 4 slices canned beets (optional)
- 4 shrimp, peeled and cooked
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 12 black olives (greek style preferred)
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 4 green onions, whole
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil (blend both oils together)
- Line a large platter with outside lettuce leaves. Place 3 cups of the potato salad in a mound in the center of the platter. Cover with the remaining lettuce which has been shredded.
- Arrange the watercress on top of this.
- Place the tomato wedges around the outer edge of the salad with a few on the top, and place the cucumber wedges in between the tomatoes, making a solid base of the salad.
- Place the avocado slices around the outside.
- Place crumbled feta on top of the salad, with the green papper slices over all.
- On the very top, place the sliced beets with a shrimp on each beet slice and an anchovy fillet on top of the shrimp.
- The olives, peppers and green onions can be arranged as desired.
- The entire salad is then sprinkled with the vinegar and then with the oil.
- Sprinkle the oregano over all and serve at once. Serve with toasted garlic bread.
After eating at Hellas restaurant in Tarpon Springs, I've been craving Greek Salad, and this sure fits the bill. I love the potato salad surprise in the bottom of the bowl. DH doesn't like radishes, so I omitted them without ill effect! This was delicious!
A very good salad, when I crave a Greek Salad I always think about this recipe. The potato salad at the bottom of the dish is so delicious!