Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
One of my favorite memories of going to a restaurant when I was growing up was getting to order a Shrimp Louie or Crab Louie from someplace like the Reuben E. Lee. It wasn't until later in life that I discovered the joy of a well-crafted Reuben sandwich (no relation to the restaurant mentioned earlier), which later in life became one of our highest-rated sandwiches in our deli. This Louie dressing will make either of these better than simple Thousand Island or Russian.
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Use a good variety, not a diet substitute. Deli Mayonnaise (Recipe With Tutorial) is best.)
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (the red "cocktail sauce" type such as Homade or Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (We prefer Caravelle)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a non-reactive bowl, mix mayo, red chile sauce, sweet chile sauce, seasoned salt, sugar, onion granules, and half the lemon juice.
- Chill and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust with salt, pepper, and remaining lemon juice.
This dressing is dynamite! My family likes thousand island style dressing, and this is thousand island on steroids. I feel like taking it to the restaurant that makes the best Reuben sandwich and insisting they use it. I have made it twice and stayed true to the recipe, but personally found that the juice of one half lemon was plenty. Also inspired me to use the sweet chili sauce in other sauces.
Whipped this dressing up in short order. Love the combination of the chili sauces in this dish. Can't wait to use it on a Reuben sandwich. Made for Spring PAC, 2014.
Just the right amount of sweet and zing......perfect!