Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my favorite memories of going to a restaurant when I was growing up was getting to order a Shrimp Louie or Crab Louie from someplace like the Reuben E. Lee. It wasn't until later in life that I discovered the joy of a well-crafted Reuben sandwich (no relation to the restaurant mentioned earlier), which later in life became one of our highest-rated sandwiches in our deli. This Louie dressing will make either of these better than simple Thousand Island or Russian.
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Use a good variety, not a diet substitute. Deli Mayonnaise (Recipe With Tutorial) is best.)
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (the red "cocktail sauce" type such as Homade or Heinz)
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (We prefer Caravelle)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a non-reactive bowl, mix mayo, red chile sauce, sweet chile sauce, seasoned salt, sugar, onion granules, and half the lemon juice.
- Chill and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust with salt, pepper, and remaining lemon juice.