roja khan's Note:
Lotus roots are edible and eaten all over Asia. In India, they are made either in a like a Curry gravy or as a dry bhaji. Some enterprising cooks even stuff the lotus root canals with a stuffing of their choice, meat or curry spices, and cook them whole in an oven. It can also be added to various meat curries or grated and made into Vegetable Koftas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g fresh lotus root (tin or fresh)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 6-8 pieces each
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 1/2 inch piece gingerroot (peeled and grated )
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (to garnish)
- 1Wash and scrap the skin of fresh lotus roots. Slice into 1/2 to 1 cm thick rings. Boil in microwave for 5-7 minutes. Tinned ones are already clean and boiled, just drain.
- 2Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida powder and let the seeds splutter.
- 3Add ginger and fry for a few seconds.
- 4Add all powdered spices, except garam masala, and stir for 10 seconds, to release flavours.
- 5Add potatoes and lotus roots, stir fry to ensure that all the vegetables are well coated with spices and turn the heat low. If using tinned lotus root, cook potatoes to almost done first and then add lotus roots.
- 6Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender. You may need to add a couple of tablespoons of water, to allow potatoes to cook.
- 7Stir in garam masala.
- 8Adjust salt and chillies to your own taste.
- 9Turn heat off and add fresh coriander leaves.
- 10. Serve with Chapatties or Plain Parathas.
Browse Our Top Pakistani Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lotus Root Bhaji (Dry Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.5
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lotus root