Recipe by Dee514
This recipe was given to me way back in 1970 by my mom-in-law. It's a family favorite.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup Crisco
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter (or Crisco) and sugar together.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add lemon extract, vanilla, wine and salt, stir to mix well.
- Sift flour and add it alternately with the buttermilk to the butter mixture.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar together, and stir into batter.
- Stir batter to mix all ingredients well.
- Grease and flour 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans.
- Divide batter evenly into both pans.
- Bake at 325°F for about 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and cool on wire racks.