Recipe by Dee514
Posted by request. A hearty casserole that my M-I-L frequently made for family gatherings. It was usually served with a tomato salad, pickles and rye bread.
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
this is COMFORT FOOD! Hubby and I loved it, but the kids don't like sauerkraut. I did use the mushroom coup instead of making the sauce from scratch. But I still added 1 TBS of prepared mustard. Excellent flavor.
- 8 -10 slices rye bread (with caraway seeds)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped or 1 cup dried mushroom, that have been soaked and drained
- 1 medium onion, cubed and divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock (or broth)
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed & very well drained
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 8 ounces medium wide egg noodles, parboiled & drained
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup rye breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred about 2 slices of bread, to make 1/2-3/4 cups of rye bread crumbs (set aside).
- Butter enough of the remaining rye bread to line the bottom of a large casserole, place it buttered side down.
- In a skillet, add 1 tablespoon butter and saute 1/2 the onions with the ground pork until onions are lightly browned.
- Mix onion, pork and any drippings into sauerkraut.
- In same skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter and saute remaining onions and mushrooms until onions are clear.
- In small saucepan, combine sour cream, mustard, milk and 1 tablespoon flour, mix well and heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Gradually stir in broth, continue heating and stirring until sauce thickens again.
- Stir mushroom mixture into sauce.
- Spread sauerkraut mixture evenly over bread in casserole pan.
- Spread parboiled noodles evenly over sauerkraut.
- Pour sauce mixture evenly over noodles.
- Cover noodles with a layer of kielbasa.
- Mix melted butter with bread crumbs, and spread over kielbasa.
- Cover casserole pan tightly with tin foil.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for about 25-35 min.
- or until noodles are tender.
- Remove foil, cover the top of casserole with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven uncovered and bake about another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- **Shortcut: You can substitute two 10 1/2 ounce cans Cream of Mushroom soup and 1 1/2 cups of milk for the"scratch sauce" (mushrooms, milk, sour cream, flour and broth).
- Mix soup, mustard, remaining sauted onions and milk together well and use in place of"scratch sauce".