Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
From All You Magazine, February 2006. Perfect for teatime! Serve this with an almond/strawberry butter spread or lavender butter spread!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, finely grated
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (NOT imitation)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9" x 5" loaf pan, then line pan with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper.
- LOAF: Cream the butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar and lemon peel on high speed for 5 minutes using an electric mixer. Add the eggs and yolk one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the milk, 2-3 tablespons lemon juice, vanilla extract, baking powder and salt on medium speed.
- Finally, mix in the flour on low speed until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, smooth the top and bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- GLAZE: In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup lemon juice until the sugar dissolves.
- Allow the loaf to cool in pan for 10 minutes then grasp the parchment paper on the sides and carefully transfer to a wire rack.
- Prick the top of the loaf all over with a toothpick. Brush 1/4 of the glaze onto the loaf and let sit for 5 minutes. Repeat this process two more times, reserving 1/4 of the remaining glaze.
- Remove the lemon loaf from parchment paper and place on a cake platter. Brush top with the rest of the glaze.
- Lightly sift powdered sugar over top of cake.
Simple to make with a wonderful texture and great lemony taste. Served it with double cream and lemon curd.
"Lotsa lemon" is right on the money. Delicious. I used my handheld mixer, and I believe it would have been much easier with the stand mixer, so next time I'll use it. We love lemon desserts, so I know we'll enjoy this one many times. Thanks very much.