Recipe by bungalowten
Broccoli Cheese Soup for people who love broccoli and real cheese. No velveeta here! Great served with crusty or fresh bread.
Top Review by Shaggy Red Chef
Loved it! I doubled the corn starch (to 4 TBS) to help thicken. Additionally, and I may be wrong here, but the recipe doesn't specifically say to bring the mixture to boil. After adding the milk, I made sure to bring the whole thing to a boil, as for some reason I have it in my head that milk doesn't thicken much unless it hits a hard boil briefly. From there, it was great!
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (2% or whole works best)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup (cream of chicken also works nicely)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently simmer broccoli in the chicken or vegetable broth until tender.
- Leave broccoli and broth on stove on lowest setting.
- Add shredded carrot to broccoli and broth.
- Mix milk and soup and add to soup.
- Mix cornstarch and water, and add to soup.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Add shredded cheese, simmer just until melted.