Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Broccoli Cheese Soup for people who love broccoli and real cheese. No velveeta here! Great served with crusty or fresh bread.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (2% or whole works best)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup (cream of chicken also works nicely)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded (optional)
- Gently simmer broccoli in the chicken or vegetable broth until tender.
- Leave broccoli and broth on stove on lowest setting.
- Add shredded carrot to broccoli and broth.
- Mix milk and soup and add to soup.
- Mix cornstarch and water, and add to soup.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Add shredded cheese, simmer just until melted.
Loved it! I doubled the corn starch (to 4 TBS) to help thicken. Additionally, and I may be wrong here, but the recipe doesn't specifically say to bring the mixture to boil. After adding the milk, I made sure to bring the whole thing to a boil, as for some reason I have it in my head that milk doesn't thicken much unless it hits a hard boil briefly. From there, it was great!
This was great! I was short on time, so I used a couple of frozen broccoli cauliflower mixtures(bags) and added bacon bits,half & half.I didn't use cornstarch-as the half & half thickened it with a little "Wondra" flour.The three teenage boys and husband said,mmmm.took only about 45 minutes from start to finish.Thank-you!!
one of my favorites and very easy to make, muy beuno!