Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a wonderful and healthy comfort soup! I whipped this together with ingredients already in my kitchen one cold and rainy Seattle Sunday. It turned out scrumptious, and it freezes well for a quick weekday dinner. This makes a very chunky veggie-intensive soup - if you want to go lighter on the veggies, then just omit some of the listed ones, such as the bag of frozen mixed veggies. I am cooking some right now in my crock pot and can't wait for it to be ready! Serve with fresh warm bread and enjoy!
- 6 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 0.5 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, cooked in microwave for 2 minutes
- 8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 7 chicken bouillon cubes, non-dissolved
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 dashes seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, extra spicy seasoning blend
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- Place chicken in crock pot, followed by potatoes, then all other vegetables.
- Add bouillon cubes and water and stir well.
- Sprinkle with all spices and garlic.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
This recipe is quick, easy and delicious. It was so nice to arrive home in the evening to a warm meal after work, school and after-school activities. We really enjoyed all of the veggies. I didn't have a bag of frozen mixed vegetables but did use up the odds and ends of frozen veggies that were in my freezer...corn, peas, italian green beans and limas. The salt was a bit much for our tastes so I will use low sodium products next go around. Also I'll cut back on the black pepper as the children found it to be a bit too peppery for them. Cooking time in my crockpot was 9 hours (I have an older one). Thanks for a yummy soup Helping Hands.
Wow - this is just a wonderful soup! It's a vegetable soup with a little chicken added and it's so hearty and flavorful. It seemed to call for too much black pepper but I decided to go ahead and add the full amount and I'm so glad I did - it made this soup terrific. I also really loved the addition of the spinach. I can't say enough about this great soup - it will be a staple at my house - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for My 3 Chefs November 2008