Recipe by RecipeNut
This quick bread is full of chocolate!
Top Review by HokiesMom
Okay don't know what happened to my review I posted in early May but just noticed it did not take. Made for the AU/NZ Recipe Swap - Group Kangaroo Paws... what a great quick bread recipe. I loved the addition of the applesauce as it made it a nice moist bread. I did skip on the glaze as I'm trying not to use shortening (hence why there is not a picture since I did not follow the instructions completely). I think it is great without a glaze and my family enjoyed this thoroughly! Thanks for posting!
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease 5 mini (5 1/2x3-inch) loaf pans.
- Place 1 cup chocolate chips in small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy. Add melted chocolate and eggs; beat until well blended. Add flour, applesauce, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and salt; beat until well blended. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until centers crack and are dry to the touch. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Drizzle loaves with glaze; let stand until set.
- Gift Idea: Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap or cellophane and place in a colorful gift bag. Including a sampling of single serving packets of gourmet coffee or tea with each loaf.