5 hrs 15 mins
I made this up when making my first batch of chili at age 20. I thought all the recipes I saw looked boring. With all the beans you get a nice texture and appearance. I make big batches for DH to take to guys he works with and for my grandfather each year and everyone raves about this recipe. Meat can be browned then all put in a crockpot for 8 hours on low but it never all fits in my large oval pot so I would prepare for that. This freezes very well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) can red kidney beans, with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can lentils, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can black beans, with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can baked beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can chickpeas (aka garbonzo's)
- 1 (10 ounce) can romano beans
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 2 large cooking onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced then halved again
- 2 (16 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 lbs ground beef (can use ground venison)
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash cumin (optional)
- Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper or hot pepper, all to your liking (For fairly mild I add just 2 drops of tabasco, a dash of cayene and one small chopped chili pepper,) (optional)
- 1Fry ground beef until browned in large stockpot, Add garlic and onion, saute over medium heat for 5 min stirring now and then Add celery, green pepper and carrots and saute 5 minutes.
- 2add beans, tomatoes, paste and spices, hot peppers if desired.
- 3bring to a boil and simmer covered on low heat for 3-4 hours until thickend.
- 4Sometimes I can only get kidney beans in 14 oz cans, that is no big deal just add them and if you cant find one kind just substitue with one of the others.
- 5I have also thrown leftover green beans in too.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lots-a-bean chili
Serving Size: 1 (4760 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.8
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 44.0 mg
- Sodium 663.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 22.6 g