Recipe by Chaeign
I found this recipe when looking for uses for lost (stale) bread. You can use smaller bread, rolls, etc. as long as the volume is about the same. Six slices will fill my four-cup glass measure. This is delicious warm from the oven, with whipped cream.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 1⁄3 cups non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups drained crushed pineapple, plus (20 oz can)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice, from can
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 glass pan.
- In a large bowl, combine powdered milk, dark brown sugar, flour and baking powder.
- Add bread.
- In a second bowl, combine remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring until well mixed.
- Pour into greased pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Cool about 30 minutes; serve warm with whipped cream.