Recipe by Georgieanna
When I was a little girl, my mama always made this for me for breakfast. I loved it and fixed it for my children who also loved it. It always smelled so good frying that I could hardly wait to get it on my plate.
Top Review by LisaGay
Hi Georgieanna, Growing up in Louisiana, this is exactly the way my Mama would make "Lost Bread". I'd forgotten all about it. Now I'm going to fix it for breakfast tomorrow morning. Thanks for reminding me with the recipe! By the way, I live nearby in Covington.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-day old sliced bread
- Crisco or other oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix both dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- In separate bowl, add eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Mix well and then slowly add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Dip the sliced bread one at a time, turning until thoroughly soaked.
- Have oil heated and place bread into the frying pan, turning until both sides are browned.
- Soak on paper towels.
- Keep doing this until all mixture is used.
- More ingredients can be made at first if your family is large enough.
- May need to add more sugar to the recipe depending on your taste.
- Does not need anything added onto it at the table.