Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
They serve this at a little cantina near where I live. Doesn't look so good, but the taste is fabulous.
Top Review by HEP MEP
Very tasty! I reduced the amount of meat to 1 1/2 lbs and only added one can of beans since one member of my family is phobic about the results of eating them! The only Rotel tomatoes I can get around here are the very mild ones so I added a bit of Chipolte chili powder along with the 2 tsps. of cumin. I though the shredded Monterey Jack added a lot of flavor too. I served it with some really good white corn tortilla chips. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 lbs lean stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (I use the extra hot kind)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil; saute beef until browned on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cheese.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat it tender.
- Ladle stew into individual serving bowls; top with cheese.
- I usually serve this with corn bread.