Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
They serve this at a little cantina near where I live. Doesn't look so good, but the taste is fabulous.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 lbs lean stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (I use the extra hot kind)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil; saute beef until browned on all sides.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cheese.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat it tender.
- Ladle stew into individual serving bowls; top with cheese.
- I usually serve this with corn bread.
Very tasty! I reduced the amount of meat to 1 1/2 lbs and only added one can of beans since one member of my family is phobic about the results of eating them! The only Rotel tomatoes I can get around here are the very mild ones so I added a bit of Chipolte chili powder along with the 2 tsps. of cumin. I though the shredded Monterey Jack added a lot of flavor too. I served it with some really good white corn tortilla chips. Thanks!
Mmmm....Quick and delicious stew. I brought it to a simmer on the stove and then transferred it to the crock pot and cooked it on low for about 5 hours. I only used a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, DH isn't a fan and added a teaspoon of dried oregano. Looking forward to the leftovers. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Oh my goodness. This stew was a stupendous success with my family/friends. We had several people over to watch football last Saturday. Everyone complimented on how good it was. I used the hot/spicy Rotel tomatoes and only 1 teaspoon ground cumin. For me, I could have added the other teaspoon, but my husband is kind of wimpy when it comes to spices so I compromised. The cheese on top was perfect. I served this stew with tortilla chips and we were set. A great Tex-Mex hearty meal.