lynnski / LA's Note:
Chopped salads had their hey day in the era of the Brown Derby, with its famous Cobb Salad, but chopped salads are undergoing a resaissance. I had this salad at a local restaurant and have put together my version. It's not from Spain, but has some imported Spanish ingredients such as piquillo peppers (use roasted red peppers if not available) and Idiazabal cheese, a Spanish sheep's milk cheese (probably not in the computer so I've substituted mozarella). The charm of a chopped salad is that you get a bit of all the ingredients in each mouthful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 roma tomatoes, sun dried, packed in oil (1/4-inch dice)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butternut squash (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/4 cup red beet, roasted (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachio nuts, shelled
- 1/2 cup fennel (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup celery (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/3 cup cucumber (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup currants, dried
- 3 tablespoons piquillo peppers (1/4-inch dice)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated provolone cheese (or mozzarella)
- 8 cups chopped mixed greens (such as arugula, spinach, frisee and romaine)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1Preheat the oven to 250 F, roast the squash and beets in a small baking pan just until tender, about 12 minutes, allow to cool.
- 2Increase oven temperature to 350 F and toast pistachios for 5 to 7 minutes until lightlt toasted, allow to cool.
- 3in a large bowl, toss together the roasted tomatoes, butternut squash, beets, pistachios, fennel, celery, cucumber, currants, piquillo peppers, grated cheeses and mixed greens.
- 4In a small bowl mix , whisk together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, stir in raisins.
- 5Drizzle dressing over the salad, sprinkle with a dash of salt and toss to combine.
- 6Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Los Angeles Ensalada Espanola (L. A. Chopped Spanish Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.3
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 207.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: