LORRIE in London Ontario's Note:
This recipe makes a large amount, plenty for a hungry family of 4 and it freezes pretty well for lunch too. (The bean sprouts go pretty limp but tastes fine). I read a lot of other peoples versions and put together what I think is a great sauce (which really makes this dish).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cut up boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, sliced in thin strips
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (chopped or grated)
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper
For Thai Sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato based chili sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 lime, grated, zest of
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 fish bouillon cubes, dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water or 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- pepper (no salt)
For the Pad Thai
- 1**Taste the sauce- if its not sweet enough for you add sugar, if its not warm enough for you add more cayenne, or chili garlic sauce. Add more of what you like.
- 2Marinade meat with onion, garlic, ginger, lime juice and salt an pepper for 1-4 hrs in refrigerator.
- 3in a medium sized bowl combine the Thai sauce ingredients and whisk together (set aside).
- 4Scramble the 2 eggs in a small fry pan (set aside).
- 5Place the 1/2 cup of peanuts in a baggie and carefully step on them till they are fine.
- 6To Assemble the Pad Thai:.
- 7Boil enough water in a very large pot to cover the rice noodles.
- 8Remove boiling water from the burner and add noodles, be sure they are all submerged and leave for approx 7 minutes or according to package directions.
- 9Drain noodles in a colander, and run cold running water over noodles, to stop the cooking process-- leave in sink in the colander.
- 10Add oil to pot you just had the noodles in, and stir fry the chicken and onion mixture till the chicken is cooked through, and onions are softened.
- 11Add the sauce just to warm it up, then quickly add in bean sprouts, scrambled egg, noodles and green onion to the meat and sauce mixture, mix well so everything gets coated with the sauce.
- 12Stir over low heat just until sauce has warmed the noodles. Don't overcook it, you still want some crunch in the bean sprouts and the green onions.
- 13Serve with a sprinkle of crushed peanuts on top.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lorrie's Pad Thai
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.4
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 147.3 mg
- Sodium 827.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fish bouillon cubes