I was home feeling out of sorts so I hauled out my food processor and started rummaging in the fridge and pantry. This soup is what I came up with and everyone just loves it. My fella called me from work and said I took soup for lunch and its fantastic--make it every week-DON'T change a thing. I laughed and said...ok, I guess I better write down what I did before I forget. HEEHEE
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, sliced thin
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 cups water
- 1 (900 ml) knorr beef broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and broken up
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- 1 -2 teaspoon green Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- Brown ground beef and set aside. In same pan sauté raw veggies till softened.
- Empty corn, beans, tomatoes, beef broth and water in a large stock pot with sautéed veggies and cooked ground beef.
- Add seasonings; bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
- This is best served the following day or made very early so the flavors can meld.
- Top with some freshly grated mozzarella or cheese of your choice.
Outstanding soup! DH said I can make it anytime and he'll be happy. The only thing I changed was to use chipotle hot sauce instead of the green jalapeno sauce (because that's what I had on hand). Made for Photo Tag.